ROCHESTER, Minn. – There are three reports of men exposing themselves in public in just a few months.
They all happened near the Quarry Hill area but Rochester Police Department’s Lt. Mike Sadauskis says they are unsure if the incidents are related.
Dominique Brown lives in Rochester and goes on walks about three times a week. She says hearing of these reports surprises her, despite experiencing a similar situation.
“I was walking up a hill and stopped to take a break and next thing you know this man was in full nude, literally full nude,” she said. “He stood there for some time, so yeah it's concerning when you're walking by yourself, being a woman.”
Brown said she turned around and walked away. Lt. Sadauskis said if this does happen, people should find the safest place nearby, like a car, residence, or even a group of people.
If taking a photo does not compromise safety, people can take photos of the person exposing him or herself, which can help with an investigation that follows.
While Brown didn’t report the incident, RPD said calling 911 is acceptable in an indecent exposure situation.
Brown said when she goes walking, she always makes sure to be aware of her surroundings but suggests more safety resources be put in place. Resources similar to those on a college campus.
“I think creating safety spots or areas anybody go to, like having something close range for people on trails. Like maybe a phone,” she said.
But there are precautions walkers and runners can take before heading out on the trail.
RPD suggests people:
1. Tell someone their route and expected time of return before leaving on a walk/run.
2. Take routes that are well lit and populated when going at night.
3. Be vigilant of surroundings, and report to police if necessary.
- Safety tips for the trails, after 3 reports of indecent exposure
- Another indecent exposure report in southern Minnesota
- Another indecent exposure report at Quarry Hill
- Rochester Police investigating another indecent exposure report
- Man cited for indecent exposure in Rochester
- Butler County man pleads guilty to assault and indecent exposure
- Safety tips for Halloween
- Man who threw cat into river in 2015 arrested for indecent exposure
- MedExpress gives summer health and safety tips
- Food safety tips after a power outage