Rochester, Minn. – A 47-year-old Asian woman is being treated as a victim of a sex crime after being found at a Rochester hotel Monday.
According to Rochester police, the woman, who spoke no English, was included in a backpage.com ad and it was investigated as part of prostitution/human trafficking.
Investigators have learned the woman was forced to travel around the country and respond to these kinds of ads. They said she only has a one-way phone and is being controlled by a group that originates in China. They instruct the woman where to go, and they said she has traveled all over the United States.
Rochester police say they will be putting the woman in contact with services to help her.
- Rochester police investigating human trafficking at hotel
- Learning about human trafficking
- Families learn about human trafficking
- Human trafficking arrest in Olmsted County
- Area family learning about human trafficking
- Probation for Rochester hotel burglary
- Rochester hotel evacuated after fire
- Rochester police help with crackdown on sex trafficking
- Sex trafficking resource closes in Rochester
- Police: Rochester maintenance worker dies after falling off hotel roof