Rochester hotel evacuated after fire

Ice machine caught fire in room next to the pool.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 7:54 AM

ROCHESTER, Minn. – An ice machine is being blamed for a Wednesday hotel fire.

The Rochester Fire Department says it was called to Guest House Inn and Suites on 16th Avenue NW at 5:49 pm about a fire in a room next to the pool area. Firefighters arrived to find flames coming out of an ice machine had been put out by a hotel employee with a portable fire extinguisher. However, the machine was still turned on and smoking.

Firefighters cut off the electricity to the ice machine and ventilated the area.

The Fire Department says there was substantial smoke in the hall outside the ice machine room but automatic fire doors had closed off that section of the hotel. Guests had still been evacuated and were not allowed to return until air monitoring confirmed there was no longer any danger.

An estimated $10,000 in damage was done by this fire, with the ice machine destroyed and heavy smoke damage to the surrounding room. There was minor smoke damage in the adjacent hallway.

Rochester police and Gold Cross Ambulance assisted at the scene.

One employee was evaluated for smoke inhalation and released without need for transport or further evaluation.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
19° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 19°
Feels Like: 12°
Albert Lea
Overcast
19° wxIcon
Hi: 22° Lo: 18°
Feels Like: 9°
Austin
Scattered Clouds
21° wxIcon
Hi: 26° Lo: 19°
Feels Like: 21°
Charles City
Clear
21° wxIcon
Hi: 30° Lo: 21°
Feels Like: 15°
Rochester
Overcast
18° wxIcon
Hi: 24° Lo: 15°
Feels Like: 9°
It's about to get coooold
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Byron Middle School Awarded $100k

Image

Operation Christmas Eve

Image

Deputy Chief retiring

Image

Youth Climate Strike

Image

Creating an Alzheimer's Friendly Holiday

Image

AM Espresso

Image

Feast

Image

Uber Assaults

Image

Making a difference this holiday season

Image

New loan program to help farmers

Community Events