CLOSINGS: View Closings

Rochester Fire Department sees spike in carbon monoxide calls over the summer

They advise the public to make sure their CO detectors are working.

Posted: Sep. 5, 2018 7:03 PM
Updated: Sep. 6, 2018 8:57 AM

ROCHESTER, Minn. - After a spike in calls regarding elevated carbon monoxide levels over the summer months, the Rochester Fire Department is advising the public to make sure they have a properly working carbon monoxide detector.

Between June and August, the department responded to 18 CO calls, which is nearly 5 times the amount they responded to in summer of 2017.

"It's a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. There's no way your human senses can pick up on it before it's too late, and usually flu-like symptoms is what you're going to start to feel with carbon monoxide poisoning," explains Captain Caleb Feine. "It's just important because there's no way to detect it without having these detectors in your home."

Feine tells KIMT the typical lifespan of a CO detector is 5-7 years.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
42° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 36°
Albert Lea
Clear
43° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 43°
Austin
Clear
43° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 43°
Charles City
Few Clouds
45° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 40°
Rochester
Clear
40° wxIcon
Hi: 63° Lo: 41°
Feels Like: 34°
Tracking the return of sunshine for the midweek.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Tracking Sun, Sun, and More Sun!

Image

Austin hires new coach

Image

Lake Mills girls track Invite

Image

Increasing liquor on-sale license fees in Rochester

Image

Lawsuit against the state of Iowa

Image

City of Rochester looking to repair the sidewalks

Image

Cocktails & Coffee with CBD

Image

Apprenticeship Signing Day

Image

"Unplanned" movie shines light on abortion debate

Image

Storm Team 3 Forecast

Community Events