ANKENY, Iowa (AP) — Iowa authorities are investigating a fatal police shooting in the Des Moines suburb of Ankeny.
The Des Moines Register reports Ankeny Police Lt. Brian Kroska says an officer fatally shot a man suspected of robbing a Hy-Vee gas station Saturday after he pointed a handgun at the officer.
Kroska says officers responded to the robbery call around 4:30 Saturday afternoon and found the suspect a couple blocks away near another gas station. That's when the suspect pointed the gun.
Police didn't immediately release the identities of either the suspect or the officer.
The officer will remain on paid leave while the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation reviews the shooting.
- Robbery suspect shot dead in central Iowa
- Measles warning for central Iowa
- After Central Iowa gun store robbery, local gun dealers discuss safety measures
- Heavy rain hits central and northwest Iowa
- 2 robbery suspects sought in Rochester
- Armed robbery suspect sought in southern Minnesota
- One dead after shootout in southeastern Iowa
- North Iowa Bulls claim sixth-straight central division crown
- Winter Weather Advisory for some north-central Iowa counties
- Powerball ticket worth $1 million bought in central Iowa