MASON CITY, Iowa- A two-year survey aimed at finding the needs of the north part of Mason City is complete, and on Monday those results were revealed for the public to decide what changes they would like to see.
“I’m a proud north ender,” said Mila Baier, of Mason City.
Baier has lived on the north side of town her whole life and while she calls the north side home, she said her and her neighbors are noticing some of the issues, like dilapidated houses.
“A lot of property owners on the north end are doing the best they can,” she said. “There are other property owners that are just there because it’s a way to make a buck.”
The results of the report all of the issues can be solved, from dangerous crossroads, to infrastructure safety and transportation, but maybe most importantly is getting rid of a stigma that the north end is dangerous.
“The people of the north are good people,” Baier said. “They’ve got a bad rap for quite a while and it’s time to stop. Any part of a community has good and bad apples, and I believe most of the people on the north end are good apples.”
And according to the report the stigma isn’t true.
“The crime rate on the north end is actually lower than most of the rest of the city,” said Mason City Development Services Director, Steven Van Steenhuyse. “There is always this perception that this is a very high crime-rate area, but in reality, it’s not any worse, and in fact, better than some parts of the city.”
While those with the city said they are working to improve many of the hardships on the north part of town, Baier said she wants to see the north end become part of the rest of the city again.
“My perception is that the north end is just kind on stuck on to Mason City,” she said. “It isn’t actually part of the city and doesn’t benefit from a lot of the pride of Mason City.”
- Results of survey show stigma of north part of Mason City isn't true
- Mason City Schools 2018 audit shows clean results
- Charles City Survey
- Survey shows improving economy in rural parts of 10 states
- Parts of Mason City, North Iowa nominated for 'opportunity zone'
- "Spare Parts" Author in Mason City
- Long-delayed conviction results in probation for Mason City man
- Two-vehicle accident north of Mason City
- Evacuations taking place in parts of SW Mason City
- Construction closing part of 1st Street NE in Mason City