MASON CITY, Iowa – A body found May 20 east of NIACC is that of a missing police officer from Arkansas.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety said in a news release Tuesday that the remains found in Mason City were that of Cerilla Doyle, a former Pea Ridge police officer who went missing from her home in Bentonville, Arkansas, in 2008.
She was 51 when she disappeared on Oct. 27, 2008.
“The investigation conducted by the Bentonville Police Department determined that Doyle had left the area voluntarily and no contact had been made with her since she went missing,” the Iowa DPS press release said. “Currently, there is no indication of foul play, however, the investigation is continuing into the circumstances surrounding her travels between Arkansas and Iowa as well as the circumstances surrounding her death.”
Doyle was last seen buying a bus ticket on Oct. 28, 2008, CBS affiliate KFSM reported Tuesday.
Doyle had been a police officer at the Pea Ridge Police Department from 1995-2008.
The human remains were found May 20, 2018, in the 22000 block of 275h St. in rural Mason City. An autopsy was performed on May 23, 2018.
Cerro Gordo County Sheriff Kevin Pals said the remains were found by the owner of the property while they were out walking their dog.
He said his agency was the first one called when the remains were found. They then called the Iowa Criminal Investigation crime lab to help with the investigation.
He said it takes months to get DNA from human remains. They then go through a federal database of all of the missing persons in the country to find a match.
"It takes a physical person to actually look at the results and compare them," he said. "It's not just a computerized match; a human being actually looks at those results and compares them."
Sheriff Pals said around a dozen families from across the country asked to have the DNA tested against their missing loved one's DNA.
- UPDATE: Body found near Mason City that of missing Arkansas police officer
- Body found in Marshalltown confirmed as missing Mason City woman
- UPDATE: 16-year-old missing from Mason City has been found
- Police: Body found in Marshalltown could be missing Mason City woman
- Missing Mason City man found safe in L.A.
- UPDATE: Missing Austin man found
- UPDATE: Missing teen found unharmed
- Update: Mason City man found deceased in Rockwell grain bin
- UPDATE: Railroad officer involved in Mason City shooting
- Investigation continues into Mason City shooting involving railroad police officer