ROCHESTER, Minn. - Masjid AbuBakr Al-Seddiq mosque in Rochester is hosting a food drive for the Muslim holiday, Ramadan.
"The drive is one of my dreams I should say," Nabeela Zubair with the mosque said. "Especially during Ramadan, I know that there are families that are hand to mouth and they want to have something as a help for them, so we thought about this food drive."
The mosque is collecting non-perishable food on Sunday starting at 4pm. While the drive ends on Sunday May 13th, this is just the beginning of a much bigger effort.
"Our goal is not to just keep it to our Muslim community, we are trying to make it for everyone, welcoming everyone," Nabeela said. "Muslims are also wanting to help their community and beyond that."
The mosque hopes to turn the drive into a permanent food bank for everyone in need in Rochester, eventually collecting food and clothing.
"We Muslims are also peace makers, peace lovers, we want to help every group, ethnicity, culture, and be part of this...community," Nabeela said.
People can drop off food at the Masjid AbuBakr Al-Seddiq mosque on Sunday May 13th at 4pm.
- Ramadan food drive hopes to become eventual food bank
- Not the ordinary food drive
- Rochester Food Bank Encourages 'Donating a Row'
- Local Food Bank Needs Summer Donations
- Coming soon...food trucks!
- Outdoor food safety
- Favorite foods of fairgoers!
- New director for Channel One Regional Food Bank
- Channel One announces its food bank donor of the year
- Aldi donates thousands to Channel One food bank