DETROIT (AP) — Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 1.4 million Ram pickups in the U.S. and Canada because tailgates with power locks can open while the trucks are moving.
The recall covers Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2015 through 2017 model years.
The company says in U.S. and Canadian government documents that if the tailgates open, unsecured cargo could fall into the road and cause a crash.
Fiat Chrysler says it has no reports of any crashes or injuries. U.S. documents say FCA received more than 5,800 complaints and warranty claims about the problem.
Dealers will fix the tailgate locking mechanism at no cost to owners. The recall is expected to start Sept. 14.
- Ram pickups recalled; tailgates that can unexpectedly open
- Ford recalls 550K vehicles that can roll away unexpectedly
- Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice dies unexpectedly
- The Big Freeze Tailgate Party
- Pickup driver accused of attempted murder in north central Iowa for trying to ram police car
- Ford recalls 2M pickup trucks; seat belts can cause fires
- Counselors available after 10-year-old Hayfield student dies unexpectedly
- ISU's Tailgate Tour invades Clear Lake
- ISU Cyclone Tailgate Tour stops in Clear Lake
- Pickup truck rollover in Freeborn County