ROCHESTER, Minn. - According to Olmsted County Veteran Services, Olmsted County is home to over 9,000 veterans.
Guy Sing is one of them, after serving 20 years in active duty with the United States Army. He said there is an adjustment period when veterans come back from active duty and finding resources to help can be a difficult task.
"Here in Minnesota, in a city like Rochester, I didn't know who to turn to, and it took me a while to find those resources," Sing said.
He is now helping other veterans get the resources that once helped him through his work at Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans. The group is putting on the Stand Down for Veterans event on Saturday June 23.
"The whole Stand Down was created to bring in homeless vets to give them some resources to get them out of the crisis that they're in," Sing said.
Saturday's event will have a number of resources for veterans covering everything from health insurance, to mental health counseling, to employment opportunities. A meal and haircuts will also be available.
According to the United States census, over 2 million veterans are from the post 9/11 era. With the face of veterans changing, Sing wants
"With the current generation veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, just because we've been overseas and have seen combat doesn't mean we have PTSD," he said. "We're functioning, we're strong, and we can definitely contribute to our society here."
Rochester Public Transit is offering free bus rides to veterans going to the event. Veterans just need to tell the bus driver they are headed to Stand Down for Veterans.
Stand Down for Veterans is on Saturday June 23 at the Kahler Apache. It will be from 9am-2pm. It is a free and family friendly event.
- Preview: Stand Down for Veterans in Rochester
- Veterans come together in Rochester
- Rochester man found incompetent to stand trial
- Three Rochester bus stands are relocating
- Little girl donates lemonade stand money to help homeless veterans
- Homeless man to stand trial in attack on Rochester woman
- Rochester man to stand trial for dealing drugs
- Rochester man to stand trial for cocaine and marijuana
- Rochester man to stand trial, accused of attacking his parents
- Rochester woman to stand trial for taking teenager