ROCHESTER, Minn. - Saturday is a nationwide Day of Action.
Rallies called 'Families Belong Together' are happening nationwide to protest President Donald Trump's 'zero tolerance' immigration policy.
Amy Britain lives in Rochester and organized the local rally.
"I just signed us up for it and we went from there," she said.
After hearing the headlines, Britain couldn't just sit and watch.
"I, I just feel physically sick. It breaks my heart. And thats why we're doing this," she said.
In addition to the national headlines, local headlines like an area mosque being desecrated, she said it's important to have a rally happening locally.
"We need to get to know them, we need to welcome them more in our community. We will stand with them," Britain said. "Tell them that you love them. Tell them that you're glad they're here."
The Families Belong Together rally will have guest speakers, music, and poetry to show solidarity with immigrant community members.
It will happen at Peace Plaza on Saturday, June 30, 1-3pm. A similar rally will take place the same day at 4 pm in Mason City's Central Park.
- Preview: 'Families Belong Together' rally happening in Rochester
- Rochester residents rally to #ReleaseTheReport
- Women's March 2018 happens in Rochester
- March for Our Lives happening in Rochester
- Major projects happening coming to Rochester
- Preview: Stand Down for Veterans in Rochester
- Hawkeye football preview: What needs to happen with the offense?
- Looking ahead: Rochester holds rally for Sudan
- Rochester rallying around woman battling brain tumor
- Sheriff: Felony charges for man who violated NCO, stole belongings