DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A detective for the Polk County Sheriff's Office has been accused of punching a man in an Ankeny bar.
Court records say 49-year-old John Negrete has pleaded not guilty to assault. His trial is scheduled to begin Dec. 13, but the prosecution is asking for a continuance.
A criminal complaint says Negrete punched the man at least twice in the face on Sept. 22 at the Yankee Clipper. A woman who lives with Negrete, 51-year-old Tereasa Sunberg, also has pleaded not guilty to punching a woman at the bar. Sunberg's trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 8.
Authorities say the two people punched are related.
Negrete has worked more than 20 years for the Sheriff's Office.
- Polk County detective accused of punching man in Ankeny bar
- Iowa sheriff's detective gets probation for punching man in bar
- Prep basketball highglights: Mason City vs. Ankeny
- Ankeny woman sentenced for Clear Lake assault
- Man arrested for allegedly punching girlfriend at Rochester bar
- Ankeny couple charged in the August death of 7-month-old
- Late-night bar incident leads to charges, bouncer being punched
- Student accused of punching assistant principal
- Mason City man accused of punching pregnant woman in stomach
- Principal accused of stalking police detective