GARNER, Iowa - Kwik Star in Garner had to be evacuated Thursday morning due to a bomb threat.
“A little after 9:00 a.m. law enforcement showed up and informed us of a van parked outside that may have a bomb in it, they wanted us to sweep through our store and make sure all of our co-workers and guests accounted for and that we were evacuating,” says Store Leader Ray Besco.
“Kind of unexpected,” Besco said. “Small-town Garner, I wasn’t expecting anything like this.”
A bomb squad and K-9 arrived on scene around 11 a.m. and no bomb was found. The scene was then cleared.
The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, the Garner Police Department and the Iowa State Patrol were all on scene. Police were asking that everyone stay 100 feet from the building. Residents like Angela Hrubes watched from afar.
"I was running uptown and then I saw it blocked off so we were just checking it out. Garner is usually a pretty safe town, that's why I raise my kids here so but you never know, it can happen anywhere I guess," says Hrubes.
Police Chief Tim Dodge describes it as a high stress, high alert situation. He is in charge of the investigation.
"Multiple agencies are trying to piece together what led us to this point, once we had the threat of the explosion that became the priority," says Dodge.
Besco said the closure of the business resulted in thousands of dollars in lost revenue.
Now we are left wondering, who does the van belong to? What caused someone to think there was a bomb inside? Will anyone be charged? How much did this investigation cost local agencies and Kwik Star?
We have calls placed to answer these questions. Stay with KIMT for the latest.
- Bomb threat at Garner convenience store forces evacuation
- Police say Garner bomb threat aimed at 'specific individuals'
- No jail time in convenience store thefts
- Convenience store embezzlement to go to trial
- Austin convenience store was robbed Sunday night
- Convenience store manager pleads guilty to theft
- Former convenience store manager sentenced for theft
- Convenience store robber going to prison
- Not guilty plea to convenience store theft
- UPDATE: Think Bank in Rochester evacuates after bomb threat