MASON CITY, Iowa - Mason City Police Department issued a "Code Red" warning for the area around the 600 block of South Carolina Avel. after officers believed that a suspect from Saturday night's shooting incident was located inside of a residence there.
This was after officers located a vehicle around 4:50 p.m. Sunday that may have been involved in the shooting incident that occurred on Dec. 9 in the 200 block of 12th Street SE.
Officers took appropriate precautions to notify neighbors of the potential public safety risk becasue the investigation involved the use of firearms.
The occupants of a residence in the 600 block of South Carolina Ave. were evacuated from their location because officers were uncertain if there were additional people or suspects inside. The North Central Iowa Narcotics Task Force Special Operations Group (SOG) was called to assist Mason City Police in securing the residence. One additional person left the residence after communicating with police who were outside.
The "Code Red" was cancelled just before 9 p.m. Sunday night after police say there was no ongoing threat to the public.
Mason City Police applied for a search warrant for the vehicle and the residence. Officers are currently executing the search warrant and the incident remains under investigation.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call Lt. Rich Jensen at the Mason City Police Deptartment at (641) 421-3636.
MASON CITY, Iowa - KIMT News 3 in on scene where there is a large police presence near South Carolina Avenue and 6th St. SE. According to the Mason City police, a "Code Red" was issued. A person who lives in the area says they received a phone call stating there was a gunman and were told to go to their basements. Our reporter on scene says SWAT teams have a perimeter set up.
Stay with KIMT News 3 as we work to bring you the latest updates.
*The CodeRED Emergency Notification System is an ultra high-speed telephone communication service designed to deliver emergency messages and distribute information considered to be important in all or specific areas of the city or county.
- UPDATE: Code Red Issued in Mason City neighborhood
- City addresses flooding issues in two Mason City neighborhoods
- Mason City man pleads not guilty for 'Code Red' incident
- Code Red Alert in Mason City for person possibly with gun ends peacefully
- Mason City man charged in connection to Code Red incident earlier this month
- Investigation leads to search in Mason City neighborhood
- Residents cleaning up in Mason City's Eastbrooke neighborhood
- UPDATE: Two-vehicle crash in Mason City
- UPDATE: Charge changed in Mason City killing
- UPDATE: Motorcyclist in Mason City crash identified