KASSON, Minn. — On Saturday, people from all over Dodge County and surrounding areas came to the Kasson Police Department to order their kids new bike helmets.
When families come in, members of the police team measure kids' heads and fit them properly with bike helmets. Kids pick out their favorite style and color. "Will you wear this every time you wear your bike?" police officers ask the kids, followed by a high-five.
Kasson residents Molly and Scott Stroh brought their sons Gabriel and Liam to the bike sale, because Liam is now old enough to start riding a bike - but you can't ride a bike without a new helmet. They say they want their children to stay while enjoying bike rides. "Gotta protect their heads... It's hard to live without a brain," explain the Strohs. They added that the prices at the police bike helmet sale—$10 per helmet—is hard to beat.
Once the weather is warm enough to get out on their bikes or rollerblades—many kids in Dodge County will be sporting brand new helmets this year. Families placed orders for over eighty bike helmets.
The Kasson Police Department says bike helmets will be ordered and ready for pick up in a few weeks. They sold helmets on Wednesday night and Saturday morning.
There's an added bonus for wearing bike helmets this summer. If the KPD catches kids wearing helmets while biking, skateboarding, or rollerblading, they will be rewarded with a Dairy Queen ice cream coupon.
- Police hold bike helmet sale
- Rochester Bike Summit 2018
- Learning bike safety
- Bike The Sun
- Bike valued at $5K stolen, returned after being posted on Facebook for-sale site
- Adults bike to work on 'Bike to School Day'
- Rochester police: Boy, 16, charged after pushing man off bike
- Helmet could be to thank for saving four-year-old's life
- Fat biking season perfect for winter weather
- Pumping the brakes on bike season