ROCHESTER, Minn. – Four suspects are now in custody in connection to the murder of a husband with two kids, Rochester police said Tuesday afternoon.
Capt. John Sherwin said Tuesday the murder of 40-year-old Ahmed Muafaq Abdulhu Al Naddf began with a confrontation of some sort and ended with one shot being fired.
"I don't know how many murders I've been a part of or investigated or responded to in 20 years," Sherwin said, "but this is one where you're like 'Wow, this did not need to happen.' It did not. It's a tragedy. There's no culpability on the side of the victim. There's nothing here that would indicate the victim did anything wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Sherwin said that after Muafaq Abdulhu Al Naddf was shot Monday night, people on scene went through his pockets.
Eric Tyler Lee, 25, Sao Yim Jr., 24, Traequan Bamlounghong, 23 and Deante Stanifer, 24, are all facing second-degree murder charges.
Stanifer’s arrest was announced Tuesday afternoon after the other three had already been taken into custody.
Sherwin called the murder, which happened Monday night in the 2800 block of Charles Ct. NW., a “tragedy.”
He said the family of Muafaq Abdulhu Al Naddf believed he was working in his garage at the time of the murder. He was pronounced dead at 9:15 p.m. after being shot on a city sidewalk.
Additionally, Sherwin said that when Muafaq Abdulhu Al Naddf was lying on the ground dying, the suspects went through his pockets before fleeing the scene.
Rochester police used a K9 and the helicopter to aid in the search. Police say surveillance video led officers to a nearby apartment where several people were located, transported and interviewed.
Police said early Tuesday that there doesn’t appear to be a prior relationship between the suspects and victim and that “robbery is being explored as a possible motive.”
According to court documents, Lee was convicted of criminal vehicular homicide or operation in 2012 and was convicted of theft in 2011.
Yim has a conviction for felony terroristic threats and a 2012 drug conviction, while Bamlounghong has faced traffic and DWI charges.
This is the second murder in Rochester in 2018.
The Rochester Muslim Community Circle has issued the following statement:
"A member of the community, originally a refugee from Iraq, was shot on 3/13/2018 in front of his house. He left behind two little children and a wife who recently had heart surgery. If you would like to help, RMCC set up a page to collect funds through Paypal to help the family."
To access that page, click here.
- Police: Four in custody for murder of 40-year-old man
- Police: Man believed to be shooter in Rochester attempted murder case in custody
- Man dies in Maquoketa police custody Saturday morning
- Officers identified in Rochester police custody death
- Wanted Mason City man back in custody
- Police: Man possibly linked to several Rochester burglaries taken into custody
- Police: Man wanted in connection to Mason City homicide taken into custody
- UPDATE: Police pursuit exceeds 100mph from MN to IA, man in custody
- Police: Man taken into custody after threatening business while wearing stolen bulletproof vest
- Authorities ID 39-year-old Rochester man who died in police custody