ROCHESTER, Minn. - A man who left his car running at a Kwik Trip was in for a surprise on Christmas day when someone hopped in while he was inside the convenience store and took off.
A witness who saw the incident happen at 11:12 p.m. Tuesday allowed the man who left his car running to get into his vehicle and they attempted to chase down the man.
However, they didn’t catch the vehicle and went back to Kwik Trip to call the cops.
A short time later, Larry Howard, 35, of Rochester, was stopped in the vehicle in the 1200 block of Marion Rd. Howard allegedly admitted to the crime after giving authorities a fake name.
He is facing charges of theft of a motor vehicle, tampering with a motor vehicle, operation with a revoked driver’s license and providing a false name to police.
The man's father and owner now has his car back. He tells KIMT he's grateful for the good police work.
"RPD is doing a very, very good job," Vele said. "Our department is very, very good and I say thank you for everything."
- Rochester Police: Man steals car while occupant is inside gas station
- Engine compartment blamed for car fire at Rochester gas station
- Prison sentence after man steals Rochester police car
- Rochester Police: Man arrested for stealing rental car
- Police: Man threatened to kill everyone at Iowa gas station
- More details emerge surrounding alleged robbery near Rochester gas station
- Rochester man accused of stealing motorcycle
- Rochester man sentenced for stealing a gun
- Police: Rochester man accused of stealing from trailer court office
- Police: 16-year-old suspect in robbery near Rochester gas station arrested