SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a man was fatally shot after breaking into a neighbor's home on the north side of Sioux City.
Police say 19-year-old Jose Montanez died at a hospital around 11:10 a.m. Tuesday after he was shot by 29-year-old Travis Gutierrez.
Police say Montanez was involved in a disturbance at his home and was cut by broken glass as he jumped out from a second-floor window. He ran through alleys and then broke into Gutierrez's home a few minutes later.
Police say Montanez was shot after refusing to leave and attacking and injuring Gutierrez.
Police Lt. Chris Groves says the police department will consult with prosecutors to determine whether Gutierrez will be charged with any crime.
- Police: Iowa man fatally shot after breaking into neighbor's home
- Police say Iowa business owner fatally shot burglar
- Iowa authorities say man fatally shot while coyote hunting in NW Iowa
- Neighbors shocked by fatal house fire
- Neighbors react to Rochester fatal stabbings
- Off-duty Minnesota firefighter fatally shot in his home
- Iowa man identified after being fatally shot by officer after brandishing gun
- Police: Iowa man intending to visit Taylor Swift's home arrested
- Man charged for fatal crash in eastern Iowa
- Man arrested in Mexico will face Iowa fatal assault charges