SUMNER, Iowa – A crop duster pilot is dead after crashing Thursday morning in Bremer County.
Authorities responded to the 1300 block of West 1st Street/Highway 93 in Sumner after several 911 calls around 7:22 am. A single-engine airplane was found at the scene on fire.
The Sumner Police Department says when the flames were put out, the deceased pilot was found. He was identified as David Baker, 56 from Swedesburg.
An investigation into the crash has begun with the National Transportation Safety Board taking the lead.
Assisting at the scene were the Sumner Volunteer Fire Department, Sumner Emergency Medical Services, Bremer County Sheriff's Office, Iowa State Patrol, Bremer County Emergency Management, Iowa DOT, Bremer REC and Federal Aviation Administration.
- Pilot killed in Bremer County crop duster plane crash
- Fatal crash in Bremer County
- Chickasaw County teen killed in Bremer County crash
- Disaster declaration for Bremer County
- Pilot identified in southern Iowa plane crash
- 18-year-old killed during fireworks accident in Bremer County
- Bremer County man killed in car/semi collision
- One dead after Sunday night crash in Bremer County
- Car hit by semi in Bremer County
- Charges filed in Bremer County burglaries