Dodge County, Minn. – A woman still on the loose who authorities call a “person of interest” in connection to a Dodge County homicide case is now facing charges for theft.
Lois Riess, whose husband was killed last week, is charged with felony theft for making unauthorized transactions, according to court documents.
On Monday in Dodge County, an investigator received information from a bank regarding possible unauthorized transactions from the victim’s account. The victim, not identified in court documents, was already deceased. David Riess, 54, was found dead from multiple gunshot wounds last week.
“The victim had both a business account for Prairie Wax Worm Farms LLC as well as a personal bank account with the bank. Inv. Bohle was informed that over the previous week Lois Riess had brought in payment checks made out to Prairie Wax Worm Farms LLC. The checks were deposited by Riess into the victim’s personal account,” the complaint states.
The checks were in the amount of $8,684.80 and $1,209.60. The investigator determined the person depositing the checks was Riess.
The bank states Riess had brought in three checks written to herself from the victim’s personal account in the amount of $7,500, $2,500 and $1,500. Two of the checks were cashed March 23.
Authorities say the victim’s debit card had been used the weekend of March 23 as well.
- Person of interest in homicide case accused of cashing checks from deceased person's account
- UPDATE: Person of interest in Saturday's stabbing in Worth County
- Person of interest identified in Worth County stabbing
- Police looking for 'person of interest' in apartment fires
- New development regarding John Vansice, a longtime person of interest in Huisentruit case
- KIMT Exclusive: Tony Jackson, person of interest in Huisentruit case, speaks from prison
- Mason City man accused of using stolen check from deceased man
- Iowa Senate passes "unborn person" fetal homicide bill
- Person of interest in Huisentruit disappearance plans move back to Iowa to defend 'reputation and honor'
- Police: Person of interest in Rochester shooting arrested on felony drug charges