Alta Vista, Iowa – Parents accused of murdering a four-month-old baby have pleaded not guilty.
According to court documents, both Zachary Koehn and Cheyanne Harris entered written not guilty pleas this week.
A trial date has not been set.
Their baby, Sterling, was found deceased in his infant swing Aug. 30 in the apartments on Hilltop Ave. in Alta Vista.
The criminal complaint states the body was found to have maggots in various stages of development in the baby’s clothing and on his skin.
The study of the maggots’ growth indicated the child hadn’t had a diaper change, bath or been removed from the swing in over a week.
The investigation indicated the parents’ account of the death was inconsistent with the findings of the autopsy and investigation.
“The cause of death was a failure to provide critical care,” the complaint states. “The facts of this case go far beyond neglect and show circumstances manifesting an extreme indifference to human life.”
- Parents accused of murdering baby plead not guilty
- Accused stabber pleads guilty
- Accused drug dealers plead guilty
- Accused heroin dealer pleads guilty
- Accused car thief pleads guilty
- Accused strangler pleads not guilty
- Accused check forger pleads guilty
- Accused pig thief pleads guilty
- Accused kidnapper pleads guilty in Mower County
- Accused lawnmower thieves plead not guilty