PINE ISLAND, Minn.- A local Pine Island man who served in world war II is finally being honored.
The bugle playing veterans gave fellow solider Wayne Spriestersbach the honor he deserves. After waiting nearly 20 years to find out what had happened to him overseas.
The veteran died when Japan attacked allies in the Philippines in 1941.
Les Fields played the bugle for todays memorial and tells KIMT that where he stand was symbolic.
“They suggested that I stand a ways away from the actual service to symbolize that his remains are not here,” said Fields.
Wayne’s body is buried in a U-S military cemetery in the Philippines.
- Pine Island veteran memorialized
- Flooding hitting Pine Island
- Pine Island woman sentenced for Oronoco burglaries
- Winter dance party in Pine Island
- Pine Island farmer's tearful video goes viral
- Fire damages rural Pine Island home
- Pine Island home damaged after kitchen fire
- Pine Island's 14th Annual Tractor Drive
- Pine Island volleyball coach 'forced to resign'
- New apartment complex being built in Pine Island