ALBERT LEA, Minn. – Charges are pending against a homeless man after a Friday night chase that hit speeds of 114 miles per hour.
Brandon James Marquardt, 33, was booked into the Freeborn County Jail for possession of a stolen motor vehicle, fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, and driving under the influence.
Albert Lea police were called to the 700 block of Main Street East a little before 8 pm Friday about a 2004 Buick LeSabre that had been stolen from a business. An officer located the vehicle a short distance away at McDonald’s. Police spoke with the driver, who they say appeared to be intoxicated, and say there was an open container of alcohol on the passenger floor.
Police say the driver, identified as Marquardt, refused to unlock the car, rolled up the windows, and drove across the grass to Clark Street.
A chase began onto northbound Interstate 35 that reached speeds of 114 miles per hour. Freeborn County Sheriff’s deputies joined the pursuit as it went into Steele County. A tire deflation device was deployed near the Ellendale exit by Steele County deputies and it spiked one of the LeSabre’s tires. The chase continued north, however, at speeds of 70 to 80 miles an hour until a Freeborn County deputy was able to force the LeSabre to spin out near mile marker 30.
It went out of control and into the center median. Police say Marquardt then got out of the car and ran into a cornfield on the west side of the interstate. He was arrested shortly after that by an Albert Lea police officer.
No one was injured in this incident. A Freeborn County squad car sustained slight damage.
Evidence was located in the vehicle that police say may tie Marquardt to other crimes.
The Minnesota State Patrol also assisted with this arrest.
- One arrest after high-speed chase in southern Minnesota
- Chase and drug arrest in southern Minnesota
- Chase and arrest in southern MInnesota
- Waterloo man arrested after high-speed chase
- Not guilty plea in high speed chase
- Northeast Iowa man arrested after high speed chase
- One arrest after high-speed chase in Winneshiek County
- Arrest in southern Minnesota drug raid
- Wanted man arrested in southern Minnesota
- Man pleads not guilty in high speed chase