OAK PARK HEIGHTS, Minn. (AP) — A correctional officer has died after helping respond to an inmate's attack on an officer at Oak Park Heights prison.
The Minnesota Department of Corrections says 37-year-old Officer Joseph Parise died after suffering a medical emergency while on duty Monday.
The department says an inmate assaulted an officer at the maximum-security prison around noon. Other officers and staff, including Parise, responded. Two of the responding staff members were hurt, and were evaluated and released.
Parise, a four-year veteran, returned to his post and suffered the medical emergency. The department says he was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, where he died.
An investigation is underway. Oak Park Heights prison is on lockdown.
In July, authorities say a convicted killer beat a correctional officer to death at Stillwater state prison.
- Officer dies after responding to prison attack
- Officers attacked at Faribault prison
- Prison attack in Fort Madison
- Prison for Mason City chain attack
- Prison attacks on the rise in Minnesota
- UPDATE: Officer killed in Minnesota prison
- Prison sentence upheld in attack on 85-year-old woman
- Floyd County man going to prison for attacking wife
- Homeless man gets prison sentence for attacking Rochester woman
- Iowa man convicted of killing 10-year-old dies in prison