WAUKON, Iowa – An Allamakee County jury says John Michael Quanrude is guilty of 2nd degree murder.
The 30-year-old Waukon man was arrested on April 16. Authorities say he shot his step-father, Dean Elliot Russell, in a mobile home in the Parkview Trailer Court in Waukon.
Quanrude reportedly called 911 after the shooting and asked for help. Russell’s body was found lying inside the trailer with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was taken to the hospital but pronounced dead when he arrived.
Authorities say Quanrude and Russell were roommates.
Quanrude’s attorney had filed notice he was going to argue self-defense and diminished responsiblity at trial, which began Monday in Allamakee County. The jury did not agree, taking just one day to convict Quanrude after the trial ended on Wednesday.
His sentencing is scheduled for October 1.
- Northeast Iowa man convicted of 2nd degree murder
- Murder charge filed against northeast Iowa man
- Weiss will be tried again for 2nd degree murder
- Man wanted for murder in Florida arrested in northeast Iowa
- Man pleads not guilty to murder of northeast Iowa baby
- Man goes missing in northeast Iowa
- Wanted man arrested in northeast Iowa
- Man dies in northeast Iowa farm accident
- Man sentenced for northeast Iowa chase
- Logging accident kills man in northeast Iowa