IOWA CITY, Iowa – The 2018 Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association All-Star series is underway.
Four teams featuring players from all over the state will be playing a round-robin tournament at the University of Iowa’s Duane Banks Field, with a consolation and a championship game on Sunday.
Small Schools Squad East defeated Large Squad Schools East 4-1 on Thursday.
Jake Rood at bat.
The teams are divided into two squads for small schools and two for large schools.
The Small Schools East Squad features Caden Kratz of Newman Catholic and one of the coaches is Devin Schwiesow from St. Ansgar.
The Large Schools West Squad includes Jake Rood and Bryce Butler from Mason City, with Troy Rood and Brian Niesen of Mason City on the coaching staff.
In addition, the Coaches Association has named its 32nd All-Academic Teams. Andrew Morse of Newman Catholic and Liam Stubbe of AGWSR made the first team and Jace Leininger of Newman Catholic and Jake Rood of Mason City made the second team.
- North Iowans playing and coaching in All-Star baseball series
- North Iowans receive environmental honors
- Two North Iowans race in Boston Marathon
- Iowan Nick Nurse to become coach of NBA's Raptors
- North Iowans honored for wine at State Fair
- UPDATE: Two North Iowans hurt in Mower County crash.
- Two Iowans injured in crash north of Dover
- 2 north Iowans imprisoned for unwitting sale of elephant tranquilizers
- North Iowan Toppin qualifies for Olympic Time Trials
- Some North Iowans holding leadership positions in new legislative session