Photo Gallery 1 Images
MASON CITY, Iowa - Residents are still digging out from last weekend's snow storm after more than a foot of wet, heavy snow fell on parts of the area.
Charles City resident Phillip Harris came over to plow his friend's driveway. While he uses a snow blower to clear most of it to the sidewalk, he has to use a shovel to get down to the street.
"All it does is packs right in front of the snow blower, in front of the rotor and it won't do anything. It will plug the shoot up," Harris says.
And he has to use a flat sand shovel rather than a snow shovel.
"They're good for fluffy snow, or scraping up to get down to concrete, but this heavy stuff is hard on your back. Because when you bite into them, there's a lot of weight there," Harris adds.
In the southwest Hancock County town of Kanawha, the heavy amount of snow caused part of the roof at Stellar Manufacturing to cave in overnight on Sunday. According to Stellar Communications Manager Donna Popp-Bruesewitz, no one was inside at the time, and no machinery was damaged, though there may be some minimal impact to product.
Mary Schreur lives just outside of Kanawha, and is worried about what the collapse means for the 70 employees that work at the facility.
"That's our one main industry in town, so that's gonna affect a lot of people," Schreur says.
According to Popp-Bruesewitz, their Kanawha facility was closed Monday morning, with all production being relocated to their Garner facility, and Kanawha employees are working in some capacity there. The company is providing shuttle service from the Kanawha fire station to Garner for those who are requesting it. The company has contractors on site assessing how to stabilize the building, and plans to implement temporary walls. The company anticipates to resume some manufacturing in Kanawha as soon as next week.
Total cost of the damage is unknown at this time.
- North Iowa recovering from weekend storm
- Weekend of festivities in North Iowa
- North Iowa shoveling out from weekend snowstorm
- North Iowa slammed by severe storms
- Tracking the weekend storm: Watches and advisories in place for north Iowa, southern MN
- North Iowa Bulls split weekend series with Granite City
- Photos: Severe storm drops large hail around north Iowa
- Winter Storm Watch blankets southern Minnesota, part of north Iowa
- Iowa Governor makes stop in north Iowa
- Body of Grand View wrestler recovered from Iowa lake