MASON CITY, Iowa - It's been nearly 20 years since the Cerro Gordo Wind Farm first started cranking out electricity.
Now the owner of the turbines says it's time for an upgrade.
NextEra Energy plans to replace the 55 turbines currently in the wind farm with 15 new ones. The project manager says technology has improved a lot over the years, and that the 15 new turbines will generate as much power as the 55 old turbines.
The project will cost about $50 million. Construction will begin in February of 2020 and should wrap up in July of that year.
- NextEra Energy revamping Cerro Gordo Wind Farm
- Alliant Energy working on upgrading Cerro Gordo County's electric system
- Drug charges for Cerro Gordo County man
- First confirmed flu in Cerro Gordo County
- Cerro Gordo County dispatchers receive $16,000 grant
- Car theft sentence in Cerro Gordo County
- Rollover accident in Cerro Gordo County
- Whooping cough confirmed in Cerro Gordo County
- Two-car accident in Cerro Gordo County
- Hospital harasser sentenced in Cerro Gordo County