ALBERT LEA, Minn.- After months of discussion, the Albert Lea City Council voted 4-3 in favor of the Newton site for the city's next fire station.
This location is right across the street from the government center at the corner of Pearl St. and Newton Ave.
The council made their decision shortly after hearing the opinion of the Public Safety Director, who suggested the Newton site. He believed this site would be the most beneficial.
"The benefit of having the fire department across the street from the current Government Center to me is tremendous as far as command and control purposes. Day to day operations or unfortunately if there's an emergency operation the convenience of being located essentially right across the hallway from each other for both the city of Albert Lea Police Department and the fire department and to include the Freeborn County Sheriffs Office."
The Newton site is priced at just over $9M.
- Newton Ave. site chosen for Albert Lea's new fire station
- Camper fire in Albert Lea
- Forklift fire in Albert Lea
- Albert Lea stabber sentenced
- Albert Lea is one step closer to new fire station
- Albert Lea police investigate shooting
- Albert Lea's Glazier picks Iowa
- Prison for Albert Lea burglar
- Art installation in Albert lea
- Flames destroy Albert Lea garage