DES MOINES, Iowa- The Newman Knights defended their state title Saturday. The bats got going early scoring 7 runs including hits from Andrew Morse and Josh Fitzgerald.
The Lisbon Lions struck back in the top of the third putting a 5 spot on the board, but starting pitcher Evan Paulus composed himself and dominated from the mound following.
“Coach Bohl talked to me in the dugout after that and just told me to calm down,” said Paulus. “He told me I knew what I was doing, I had been here before.”
The Knights added a few insurance runs including a bomb by Paulus to help his own cause.
“I’m not sure how exactly you can follow a kid that hits a 450-foot homerun,” said first baseman Morse.
“I’ve never seen a homerun hit over centerfield here before,” said head coach Alex Bohl. “He put one on the scoreboard last year and we had a couple that were absolute shots during the season, but to do it on this stage and hit a rocket like that, holy smokes, that’s impressive.”
“I got a pitch that I could handle about belt high,” Paulus said. “If I get a pitch that’s about belt high I’m pretty dangerous with a bat.”
Paulus then finished what he started, giving the Knights their second consecutive state title.
“Not a whole lot goes through her head,” said Morse. “When we come out and we play Newman baseball, there's not a lot of teams in the state that can beat us.”
“It’s incredible, it really is,” said coach Bohl. “These guys are so deserving. They put so much work and so much time, they invest so much energy that you can't ask for a better ending for seniors for the program ... it's the way to go out, for sure.”
- Newman Catholic stands tall again as state baseball champions
- They're back! Newman returns to state baseball
- 11 straight! Newman returns to state baseball
- State champion Newman looks forward but takes time to reflect
- Newman Catholic runners prep for postseason
- Newman Catholic girls defeat Rockford, 73-56
- Newman Catholic's Ringo signs with NIACC
- SAW: Newman's state wrestling qualifiers
- Newman Catholic-Starmont game canceled due to injuries
- Newman Catholic wrestling team has high expectations, four ranked wrestlers