Photo Gallery 5 Images
MASON CITY, Iowa – A downtown hotel that has sat empty for years has been sold.
Americas Best Value Inn at 24 5th Street SW in Mason City was white tagged by city housing officials in mid-November 2016 after they said an investigation into complaints about mold discovered people were living at the hotel long term. All residents were told to move out by December 1, 2016.
The building was eventually boarded up. Now, Brett Schoenman of Schoenman Realtors says the property has been bought for $350,000. Schoenman says they’re not immediately identifying the new owners but plans are for the hotel to be renovated and rebranded as an Econolodge.
"This will provide much-needed hotel rooms in an affordable price range," says Schoenman.
Construction is expected to begin soon.
- New life for downtown Mason City hotel
- Downtown Mason City vandal sentenced
- Children's museum coming to downtown Mason City
- Another snag in Mason City's downtown development
- Mason City: 'We have all the pieces in place' for downtown hotel
- Contract signed for new hotel and conference center in downtown Mason City
- Gatehouse in Mason City to tour hotel site
- Mason City woman found fit for trial on hotel vandalism
- Mason City woman sentenced for trashing a hotel room
- State okays $9 million for downtown Mason City development