ROCHESTER, Minn.- Now that the Albert Lea City Council decided the new location of their fire station, they're now looking to make room for construction.
Just around the corner on Pearl Street and Newton Avenue South, the city is looking to purchase some of the homes.
The city manager tells KIMT it's in an effort to make room so the fire fighters have enough room to assist citizens.
Albert lea is looking to buy Manny Cortinas home.
He's lived in the home for more than 50-years and thinks its time to downsize.
“There's nothing really I can do so...i mind as well go along with it...what they tell me. They say they want to buy this place if the price is right...they got it,” said Cortinas.
But he thinks the area isn’t the right choice.
“It's good for them because it's close to the courthouse but if there’s an emergency on the other side of the railroad tracks and the trains be coming how are they going to get across the tracks.”
- New fire station looking to purchase nearby property
- Clear Lake purchases property for 'gateway feature'
- Purdue purchases Kaplan University
- Superintendents of nearby districts become the students
- Electrical issue at Perkins causes power outages at nearby homes
- Cresco Community Fire Department purchases new inflatable rescue boat
- Overnight fire causes $70,000 in property damage
- Marshalltown residents repair properties
- Klemme woman accused of vehicle purchase fraud
- Community split on age to purchase tobacco