Photo Gallery 6 Images
WORTH COUNTY, Iowa - Prior to a search warrant being executed at what authorities are calling a Worth County puppy mill, a dog from that property died in the care of a veterinarian after being involved in a dog fight.
According to court documents associated with a search warrant executed at 1071 Highway 9 in Manly, the body of a deceased Samoyed dog named Yaeger, around 12 years old, was brought to the Forest City Vet Clinic on Nov. 6 after suffering multiple puncture wounds.
The search warrant was executed Nov. 12 at the property of Barbara Kavars.
There were 154 Samoyed dogs and four cats which belonged to Kavars that were removed the location after authorities said they were found living in poor conditions and suffering from a variety of health problems.
In the search warrant, authorities said Kavars was advertising dogs and puppies for sale via the Internet despite not being validly licensed by the USDA and after failing inspections.
Kavars allegedly informed law enforcement that she made and then canceled vet appointments after “she could not catch fearful dogs” to transport them. Appointments were also canceled due to the woman not being able to physically load the dogs into the car by herself, documents state.
The Worth County Attorney’s Office has filed a petition against Kavars, identified as the owner of the Manly property raided by law enforcement and the ASPCA on November 12. Kavars has filed a response, disputing the allegations that the dogs were left without food and water in freezing conditions. Specificially, Kavars states:
- Food and water was supplied to the animals on a daily basis.
- Overcrowding of kennels is not a basis for animal neglect.
- Determinations of ideal weight is not required for an animal to not be neglected.
- Dirty coats or overgrown nails do not constitute animal neglect.
A hearing scheduled for Thursday has been moved to Dec. 3.
- UPDATE: Dog from Manly 'puppy mill' died at vet before search warrant executed
- Search warrant executed as part of Charles City burglary investigation
- Tear gas used as authorities execute search warrant in Rochester
- Police: 2 facing charges after Rochester search warrant executed
- UPDATE: Dead cats removed from Mason City residence as search warrant executed
- Manly dog rescue operation started almost a year ago
- Hearing set for owner of Worth County "puppy mill"
- Manly dog breeder looks to keep some of the seized dogs
- Rochester man arrested at work after search warrant executed at his home