MASON CITY, Iowa - It is a case that has gone unsolved for nearly 23 years -- the disappearence of former KIMT anchor Jodi Huisentruit on June 27, 1995, - and it is a day Kevin Hook remembers well.
“When I was younger, I lived by Harding Elementary School and I would ride my bike to the park a lot,” said Hook. “My mom, for the longest time, would freak out and said I should never ride my bike near the apartments where she was abducted.”
The Mason City Police Department continues to follow up on leads to the case.
KIMT News 3 is learning within the past year, Mason City Police requested a search warrant of two vehicles.
Those vehicles belong to Arthur John Vansice, who goes by John Vansice.
According to Iowa Courts Online, the request made in March 2017 is for GPS data for a 1999 Honda Civic and 2013 GMC 1500, which is giving hope to Hook.
“Just being an open case for so long I, think it would be very good to know what happened, what her last hours, days, were like,” he said.
Mason City Police Chief Jeff Brinkley says he can't discuss why the two vehicles are important to the case or when or if they already have executed the warrants, but for good reasons.
“There’s investigative integrity that we are looking to preserve,” Chief Brinkley said. “I’m not going to talk about the technology that we use to do this kind of stuff.”
But he does want the public to know this, they aren’t done searching.
“We are going to continue to use all of the resources at our disposal and the disposal of other agencies that we have been working with since day one,” he said. “I think at some point, someday, it will pay off and we will clear the case.”
Those are words of confidence that Hook is glad to hear.
“I think it’s good that we have a police department that is trying to cover the bases,” Hook said. “As a citizen, if it were me, or my wife, I would want to know that every action possible is being taken even if it doesn’t yield any results, someone was trying to find out what happened.”
- New developments in Huisentruit case
- New development regarding John Vansice, a longtime person of interest in Huisentruit case
- Seal extended on Huisentruit search warrant
- Watch: KIMT interviews CBS' Jim Axelrod ahead of "48 Hours" looking into Huisentruit case
- KIMT Exclusive: Tony Jackson, person of interest in Huisentruit case, speaks from prison
- Billboards seek new clues to Huisentruit's 1995 disappearance
- Group gathers to remember Jodi Huisentruit on her 50th birthday
- Dozens of phone calls received by Mason City PD after "48 Hours" piece focusing on Huisentruit
- Person of interest in Huisentruit disappearance plans move back to Iowa to defend 'reputation and honor'
- Thursday marked 24 years since KIMT anchor Jodi Huisentruit went missing on her way to work