BREAKING NEWS Minnesota National Guard identifies 3 killed in helicopter crash Full Story

Neighbors shocked by fatal house fire

Officials say the cause is electrical and started from a multi-plug surge protector.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 8:19 PM
Updated: Dec 2, 2017 10:49 PM

MASON CITY, Iowa - The state fire marshal is not yet releasing the name of the victim because they are still notifying family members.

But what we do know is that the fire has been ruled accidental.

Officials say the cause is electrical and started from a multi-plug surge protector.

It happened at 927 North Tyler Avenue.

One neighbor tell us she arrived home shortly after the house fire and has lived in the neighborhood for the past 47 years and has never experienced anything tragic like this.

“We just stood back and watched at that point and the after the fire was out we went and talked to the family and gave them our sympathy and we really feel bad,” says Karen Squier.

The state fire marshal's office says they expect to release the identity of the victim in the next few days.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
36° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 25°
Albert Lea
Clear
37° wxIcon
Hi: 37° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 29°
Austin
Clear
39° wxIcon
Hi: 38° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 30°
Charles City
Overcast
36° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 31°
Feels Like: °
Rochester
Clear
34° wxIcon
Hi: 35° Lo: 29°
Feels Like: 22°
Winter is roaring back
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Gift Quality Book and Bake Sale

Image

Reading Center celebrates grand opening of new building

Image

Christmas by the Lake

Image

Making quilts for those in need

Image

John Marshall girls defeat Lakeville South at home

Image

Lourdes boys hockey falls to Mound Westonka

Image

North Iowa Bulls close out the Barn with a win

Image

Weather Sean 12/7

Image

Weather Forecast Sean 12/6

Image

Making medical cannabis more affordable

Community Events