AUSTIN, Minn. - There were about 20-30 people at a garage when shots rang out Saturday night in an Austin neighborhood.
Police confirmed Monday that two women, a 32-year-old from Rochester and a 37-year-old from Austin, were shot in the leg/thigh area during an incident at 1st St. and 3rd Ave. SW. Both suffered non-life threatening injuries.
AUSTIN, Minn. (AP) — Police in Minnesota are investigating who fired at least a dozen shots into a crowded garage where a family was playing dominoes and having a barbecue in Austin.
Austin police say a 32-year-old woman and a 37-year-old woman suffered injuries on their legs, but their relatives say they are recovering. The Post-Bulletin reports that no one else was injured.
Police say about a half dozen people were in or near the garage when the shootings happened at about 9 p.m. Saturday. Police say children were also nearby in a side yard.
Austin Police Chief David McKichan says there's no danger to the public and that generally "these events aren't random" but investigators are still searching for a motive.
Police said there were 12 rounds fired from a 9mm handgun at around 9:15 p.m. The scene was cleared around six hours later.
One person who lives nearby said the wild scene wasn't a surprise.
“It doesn't surprise me as much as it should. We’ve had some issues in this town for some number of years now," said Michael Turvey, who lives near the scene.
Another neighbor said he heard around 10 gunshots.
“We were outside at a campfire and all of a sudden we just heard 10 shots ... boom, boom, boom,” a person who heard the gunfire said. “We thought it was fireworks.”
It didn’t take long to figure out it wasn’t fireworks.
Witnesses say after the shots, they saw a car quickly leave the scene.
“There was so much mayhem. It was just chaos down there. There were a lot of kids down there when the car was pulling away," said Turvey.
No arrests have been made but the Austin Police Department said it doesn’t believe there is a threat to the community.
- Police: Two females were shot during Austin gunfire; Neighbor describes scene as 'so much mayhem'
- Gunfire reported in Austin
- Gunfire hits apartments in Austin
- Austin man sentenced for February gunfire
- UPDATE: Neighbors react to shots fired in Austin
- Police investigate shots fired in Austin
- Trial set in Rochester gunfire
- Police: Iowa man fatally shot after breaking into neighbor's home
- Police confirm reports of shots fired in Austin
- Fire at Joice library described as 'devastating' (with video, photos from the scene)