DAKOTA CITY, Iowa – A Nebraska man is pleading guilty in Humboldt County to abducting a young woman.
Valentin Velez, 37 of La Vista, Nebraska, has entered guilty pleas to 3rd degree kidnapping and administering harmful substances. He was arrested in January 2018 after the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office said Velez abducted a woman from Fremont, Nebraska and took her to a home in Renwick, Iowa. Authorities say the victim was able to use social media to contact friends and family and eventually managed to escape.
A sentencing hearing for Velez is now set for May 17. 3rd degree kidnapping is a class “C” felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
- Nebraska man pleads guilty to kidnapping in North Iowa
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty in North Iowa
- Hancock County man pleads guilty to kidnapping
- North Iowa teen pleads guilty again
- North Iowa man pleads guilty to drug crimes
- North Iowa man pleads guilty to Ames theft
- Blooming Prairie man pleads not guilty in North Iowa
- Man pleads guilty to crimes in two North Iowa counties
- Man pleads guilty to Ponzi scheme in North Iowa
- Freeborn County woman pleads guilty to stalking North Iowa man