NIACC Athletics' press release:
CEDAR RAPIDS - They're back.
For the fifth straight season, the NIACC women's basketball team will be playing in the regional final.
No. 12 NIACC cruised to a 93-61 victory over Iowa Central Saturday afternoon in the NJCAA Region XI semifinals on the Kirkwood campus. Sophomore Kelsie Willert and freshman Mikayla Homola both scored 14 points to lead the Lady Trojans.
Second-seed NIACC (26-6) faces top-seed Kirkwood at 1 p.m. Sunday in the regional final. Kirkwood stopped fourth-seed Southeastern 59-52 in the other regional semifinal on Saturday.
No. 2 Kirkwood (30-3) won both regular season contests against NIACC. The Eagles won 68-59 on Jan. 17 in Cedar Rapids and 70-68 in Mason City on Feb. 14.
In its previous four consecutive trips to the regional final, the Lady Trojans have qualified for the national tournament twice (2014 and 2016).
In the other two trips to the regional title game, the Lady Trojans have bowed out to Kirkwood on the Eagles' home floor.
In Saturday's semifinal victory, NIACC, which has won eight straight against Iowa Central, led 58-35 at the half.
Also for NIACC, Adria Stewart scored 12 points and UU Longs scored 11 points.
Khalilah Holloway led NIACC with eight rebounds and Laabs dished out six assists.
Saturday's game was the seventh straight game that the Lady Trojans have scored at least 93 points in a game. The last time the Lady Trojans were held under 93 points was in the 70-68 loss to Kirkwood on Feb. 14.
Saturday's semifinal results
Kirkwood 59, Southeastern 52
NIACC 93, Iowa Central 61
Sunday's championship (At Cedar Rapids)
1 p.m. - NIACC (26-6) vs. Kirkwood (30-3)
- NIACC women advance to fifth-straight Region XI final
- NIACC advances to Region XI championship
- NIACC baseball falls in Region XI Tournament
- NIACC defeats Kirkwood for Region XI title, advances to NJCAA Tournament
- Highlights: NIACC women advance to NJCAA Quarterfinals
- Highlights: NIACC men hope to win Region 11 Championship; Lady Trojans advance to regional final
- Tusler's final tourney at NIACC
- Highlights: NIACC women defeat LPTC
- St. Ansgar knocks off Osage, advances to regional final
- NIACC women falls in NJCAA quarterfinals