A Waterloo woman has been given a 15-year sentence for scamming a couple out of thousands of dollars by saying she had a kidney transplant, tumors and other medical problems.
Court records say 47-year-old Shawn Adams was sentenced Friday.
She’s also known as Shawn Tomkins. Prosecutors say she got nearly $58,000 in aid from the Waterloo couple after telling them her tale of woe.
Prosecutors say she accused one of one of them of sexually abusing her son when they discovered her scam.
- NE Iowa woman who told lies about medical problems gets 15 years
- NE Iowa woman who lied about medical problems convicted of theft
- Drug arrest in NE Iowa
- Sheriff: NE Iowa man stabs himself after threatening woman's life
- NE Iowa woman charged with theft, 10 counts of forgery
- Lanesboro woman hurt in weekend crash in NE Iowa
- Police say shooting that injured NE Iowa woman was accidental
- NE Iowa woman pleads guilty in 4-year-old daughter's death
- Man pleads guilty in NE Iowa woman's cannon malfunction death
- NE Iowa woman accused of throwing soiled underwear at jailer