DECORAH, Iowa - A northeast Iowa man is facing two animal torture charges for allegedly killing two dogs with an ax.
Douglas Usgaard, 21, of Decorah, is accused of using an ax Saturday to kill the dogs in the 700 block of Mound St.
Usgaard allegedly killed Maz, a 13-year-old Shih Tzu/Bichon, and Trina, a 14-year-old Labradoodle. Both dogs belonged to a family member, according to court documents.
Usgaard is being held in the Winneshiek County Jail.
- NE Iowa man accused of killing two dogs with an ax
- NE Iowa man accused of delivering heroin
- NE Iowa man accused of felony sexual assault with juvenile
- NE Iowa man accused of having sex with 13-year-old
- NE Iowa man accused of assaulting jail staff
- Chatfield man accused of NE Iowa sexual assault
- UPDATE: Minnesota man killed in NE Iowa farm accident
- NE Iowa man gets life for killing girlfriend's daughter
- Sheriff: NE Iowa man killed after being attacked by bull
- NE Iowa man facing sex abuse charge