MOWER COUNTY, Minn. - The Mower County Sheriff’s Office is reminding people not to give out information over the phone after a Dexter resident revealed information to someone who claimed to be with the social security office.
The sheriff’s office said that on Wednesday a person received a call from a 786 area code and asked them to reveal their date of birth and social security number to verify their identity.
After doing so, the person asked for a banking number, and that’s when the resident hung up the phone.
Mower County Sheriff Steve Sandvik said this is the first report they have received from someone claiming to be from the social security office.
- Mower County resident targeted by someone claiming to be from social security office
- Social Ice Security
- Mower County fugitive sentenced
- Mower County dentist office visits schools
- Mower County Sheriff's Office addresses 911 outage
- Man sentenced for assault at Social Security office
- Sentence overturned in Mower County probation officer assault
- Mitchell County man dies in Mower County
- Mower County Fair security measures: 'We do not want to live in fear'
- Big donation for Mower County United Way