AUSTIN, Minn- Summer is coming to an end which means many parents are preparing their kids for the new school year. Families in Mower County aren't just stocking up on school supplies but dental supplies.
Austin resident Misty Chastain says August is crunch time for her family. For any parent getting their kids ready for school can be exhausting and expensive a struggle, Chastain knows all too well.
"We use Medical assistance and it’s really hard to find a provider especially in more rural areas," Chastain said.
She says finding a dentist that takes medical assistant in the area can be difficult. Thankfully, she stumbled across Children's Dental Health Services. The group essentially provides free dental care to underserved children. Wednesday, Chastain took her kids Jory and Aerily to get some work done.
"I haven't been to a dentist in a while,” Jory said. “I learned that it's very important to brush your teeth twice a day and flossing."
Esperanza Torres is the dental hygienist who made sure that Jory didn't have any cavities.
“It's very important because your mouth is connected to your whole body,” Torres said. “ A cavity could eventually get big enough to cause to cause an infection."
She says good dental hygiene is important not only for your child's growth but their learning process.
- Families prepare for back to school with dental work
- Breaking barriers of dental care
- Wisdom for wisdom: North Iowa woman gets free dental work after family's house fire
- Austin check for kid's dental program
- North Iowa dental office reducing opioid prescriptions
- Local dentists provide free dental care
- Mason City students give back to those in need of dental care
- The status of children's dental health in Olmsted County.
- Tuesday marks first day of total dental makeover
- Minnesota ranked 3rd in nation for dental health