HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota state trooper is charged with repeatedly sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl.
The Dakota County Attorney's Office has charged 36-year-old Shawn Barta with first- and second-degree criminal sexual conduct involving the girl who authorities say is "cognitively delayed."
The State Patrol has placed Barta on leave pending the outcome of the case and an internal investigation. The Star Tribune reports Barta has denied the allegations. A criminal complaint says the assaults began in April 2018 and ended recently.
Barta was released from jail after posting $150,000 bond.
- Minnesota trooper charged with sexually assaulting girl
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Man charged with sexual assault in Rochester
- Mason City teen charged with sexual assault
- Task force formed on sexual assault in Minnesota
- Minnesota police officer accused of sexually assaulting teen
- Iowa man gets life for kidnap, sexual assault of girl
- FBI: Woman kidnapped, sex assaulted Minnesota girl she met online
- State trooper shoots woman in northwest Minnesota
- Britt man charged for allegedly sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl in Worth County