ROCHESTER, Minn. - Candidates vying for the Minnesota Governor's seat made stops in Rochester on Tuesday.
DFL-endorsed Erin Murphy as well as Republican candidate and former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty spent the day campaigning.
The Minnesota Primary Election is only two weeks away, on Aug. 14.
Murphy announced her "Our Promise Education Agenda," a commitment to an education system that supports all Minnesota kids and builds on Gov. Mark Dayton's legacy.
"It's important that we focus on equity and education," Murphy said, "and we know in Minnesota, that we're the second-most unequal state when it comes to education. As the governor, I want to continue the work and close the opportunity gap for every child in our schools."
Murphy comes into the race not only with the DFL endorsement, but also the support of current Gov. Dayton.
"I have no doubt she will be a fabulous governor for the state of Minnesota," Dayton said.
She knows she'll have to keep a close eye on Rochester.
"People are moving to this community," Murphy said. "Making sure we have enough housing, making sure there's the training in the workforce, that we need to fill the jobs that are coming to this part of the state, and it's a good problem to have."
Pawlenty visited the University of Minnesota Rochester, and met with students.
The former governor knows the landscape Rochester has to offer as home to Mayo Clinic, but also sees technical and trade schools as viable options for Minnesotans.
"So it is critically important, it is strategically important, it is morally important, it is economically important that we get as many as our citizens in Minnesota and in the country as educated and as skilled as possible," Pawlenty said.
Pawlenty's running mate is current Lt. Gov. Michelle Fischbach.
Some of the points on their platform include bringing tax relief to middle-income Minnesotans, not taxing social security benefits, and bringing down health care premiums.
- Minnesota gubernatorial candidates campaign in Rochester
- Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tim Walz visits RCTC, discusses higher education
- Rochester mayoral candidate forum
- Democrats campaign in Rochester
- Gubernatorial governor candidate Ron Corbett makes stop in North Iowa
- Gubernatorial governor candidate Fred Hubbell stops in North Iowa
- Final University of Minnesota presidential candidate visits the Rochester campus
- Tim Pawlenty visits Rochester on campaign trail for Minnesota governor
- Iowa Ag. Secretary candidate makes campaign stop
- Minnesota Education Commissioner visits Rochester