RED LAKE FALLS, Minn. (AP) — A northwestern Minnesota home day care provider is accused of killing a 2-month-old girl who was in her care.
The Star Tribune reports that 30-year-old Sarah Kortan is charged with second-degree murder in connection with last month's death in Red Lake Falls. Kortan remains jailed without bail. A court appearance is scheduled Wednesday.
An autopsy revealed the baby had multiple skull fractures and severe eye injuries consistent with being assaulted. Kortan told authorities she dropped the baby a few days earlier, and the girl hit her head on the stove and the floor.
Authorities said Kortan had been offering through Facebook in-home day care at her apartment and was looking after two other children. State records do not show a license for Kortan as a day-care provider.
- Minnesota day care provider accused of killing infant girl
- Minnesota man accused of trying to poison infant
- Local dentists provide free dental care
- Minnesota day care owner gets probation for trying to kill a toddler
- Iowa day care provider says she'd been drinking the day baby died
- Volunteers provide food, care in wake of Iowa tornadoes
- 11 killed on Minnesota roads over Father's Day weekend
- UPDATE: Teenage girl located in southern Minnesota
- Northern Minnesota house fire kills three
- Minnesota dispatcher killed, husband hears emergency dispatch