MASON CITY, Iowa- A memorial to remember the late Alex Kuhn, former Mason City At-Large Councilman, who died in 2016 is still in the works.
His father Mark Kuhn presented the update of where they are at with raising money and finding a sculptor. He said they raised over $30 thousand from nearly 450 individuals and 14 businesses. Kuhn said they will be having a bronze statue made of Alex reading to students by a sculptor in Colorado who has had a number of pieces in the “Sculptures on Parade.” This too will be a part of the parade.
While the destination has not yet been finalized, Kuhn said he would like it to be in front of the library.
“Alex came here a lot with his two sons,” he said. “They were a part pf the summer reading program and of course he was the Mason City At-large Councilman. It just seems fitting.”
The full sculpture will cost around $50 thousand. Kuhn says they are collecting donation at Mason City City Hall.
- Memorial sculpture is well on its way
- River City Sculptures on Display ends Monday
- Time running out to vote for your favorite downtown sculpture
- 'Best in Show' named for Mason City sculptures
- Pine Island veteran memorialized
- Sleep Linked to Memory Troubles
- SAW: Thanks for the memories!
- Community memorial events on 9/11
- Traveling war memorial in Britt this weekend