MASON CITY, Iowa – The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union’s (IGHSAU) preseason poll is out and the Mason City Mohawks are picked third in Class 4A after a 14-10 season last year. A ranking senior Megan Hollander is pleased with considering last season.
“I think that’s a good representation of where we’re at after making it to the state tournament last year,” said Hollander.
For the Mohawks squad, third is not good enough as they have bigger goals in mind.
“Obviously we want a state championship so we’ve got to make it to state first and win there,” said Anna Deets. “Also, we want to contend for our conference championship, too. We have a really hard conference.”
The team continues to keep reality in check, knowing they have room to improve from last year.
“Our defense wasn’t the greatest last year,” said Deets. “”We want to improve our defense by not fouling a lot and just being able to contain people. We’re going to score a lot of points, but we also need to not let our opponents score a lot of points.”
Putting whatever work during the offseason it takes to be successful.
“I hit the weight room really hard,” said Hollander. “I was in the weight room almost every day so I think I’m a lot stronger and I’m working on keeping up with the guards – trying to get faster.”
After a scrimmage last week, the Mohawks are feeling confident heading into the regular season on Monday.
“It was really nice to get rid of all the cobwebs and everything in the first quarter because it was kind of a rough first quarter,” said Deets. “Once we started going, it was a lot better and it was just nice to get out there and play in front of people just preparing for the season.”
Mason City opens up the 2018-2019 season on Monday against Des Moines North.
- Mason City girls hoops ranked third
- Mason City Police Department restructuring ranking system
- Minnesota prep girls basketball rankings
- Mason City girls soccer defeats Webster City in season opener
- IA HS Girls Basketball Rankings (12/7)
- Authorities make arrest after missing Mason City girl is located
- Mason City girls place second on senior night
- Iowa prep baseball rankings: Mason City cracks poll in Class 4A
- Mason City and Austin ranked as top places to live for those with a $50,000 salary
- Mason City vs. Mason City.... in the Big Dance!