Mason City, Iowa – The Mason City Police Department is issuing a warning for residents and local businesses.
According to a press release, the MCPD took two reports of someone calling local businesses on Wednesday. In these cases, the caller alleged to be with the Mason City utilities or Alliant Energy.
In both cases, businesses were told that unless they paid past due balances in full their utilities would be shut off.
Police say neither call was placed from a legitimate vendor and say utility companies will first contact you by mail if you have a balance past due, not by telephone.
Police are asking if you have been a victim or received a call like this to call 641-421-3636.
- Police issue warning to residents and businesses
- NE Iowa Sheriff's Office issues warning to residents
- Federal government issues parasite warning
- Mason City police issue warning on fake phone numbers
- Warnings and watches issued for viewing area
- Winter Storm Warning issued throughout viewing area
- Red Flag Warning issued in viewing area
- Flash flood warning issued for northeast Iowa
- Flood Warning issued in Floyd, Mower counties
- Warning issued on dangerous counterfeit pills