MASON CITY, Iowa - Mason City police are asking for the public’s help to locate a missing man.
Alonzo Higgins, 27, was last seen by his family around Oct. 1. According to police and family, Higgins wrote to his brother that he was leaving town for a church convention in the Twin Cities and buying a bus ticket from the Jefferson Bus Line to get there, staying at a shelter, and scheduled to return home last Friday, but never returned. According to Mason City Police Captain Mike McKelvey, while there is security footage of him boarding a bus in Mason City, it's not yet known if he made it to the Twin Cities, or got off at another stop.
“Due to some unusual circumstances surrounding his disappearance, we have put out a missing persons report for him,” police said.
Felicia Higgins is Alonzo's sister, and notes that this was an unusual circumstance.
"My mom went to go check...there was never a church convention...and he was never at the homeless shelter. He's still probably up in Minnesota."
She describes her brother as a friendly person, though he can be shy, and is known around town.
"All the stores like HyVee, Walmart, walking around and stuff like that. Lot of people see him walking around but they haven't seen him lately."
Alonzo's mother Sylvia and other family members came up to the Twin Cities to look for him on Sunday.
"Making sure the police was involved up here as well. And the Greyhound stations, because the Jefferson Line does go to a Greyhound station up here."
The family is hopeful he comes home safe and sound.
"The only way we're going to find out is if we start looking and getting out there. Getting the word out, maybe somebody can help, maybe somebody seen something."
Alonzo was last seen wearing light brown pants and a jacket (trench coat or normal short, possibly brown) and an old school dark brown Herringbone Wool Blend Newsboy Cap. He is about 5'-11"- 6', and weighs about 170-175 lbs., and has a unique blue birthmark in his right eye, as well as short hair.
Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to contact police at 641-421-3636. You can also contact family members at 641-243-0343, 641-210-9779, or 641-531-8099.
- Update: Mason City PD asking for public's help to locate missing man
- Mason City PD asking for public's help to locate missing teen
- Update: Missing North Iowa woman located in Mason City, man arrested
- Authorities make arrest after missing Mason City girl is located
- UPDATE: Multi-agency search Tuesday at Mason City location
- Mason City PD asking for public's help in relation to alleged assault
- Watch: Mason City PD asking for public's help to ID burglary suspect
- UPDATE: Man jailed after Mason City crash
- Not guilty pleas from former Mason City PD employee
- UPDATE: Missing girls located in Rochester