MASON CITY, Iowa - In a unanimous vote, the Mason City Council has approved the installation of a memorial that will honor one of their own, the late Alex Kuhn.
Kuhn not only served on the city council but was a coach and a volunteer. He was known for his love of visiting area schools and reading to the children. Kuhn also suffered from depression and died in July of 2016.
In 2017, community leaders began raising money for a memorial and over 425 businesses and individuals from all over North Iowa contributed.
The memorial will include a sculpture of Alex reading to his two sons. There will be two adjacent benches for visitors.
Mark Kuhn, father of Alex Kuhn said, "In some ways, this is a form of closure for the Kuhn family, but it could also be for the Mason City community. We'll never forget all of the wonderful things that Alex did in his life."
Construction on the memorial should take place in the Spring of 2020.
- Mason City Council approves memorial for Alex Kuhn
- Fundraising for Alex Kuhn memorial near completion
- Mason City City Council approves development agreement with G8 Development
- UPDATE: Mason City council approves "2018 Flood Study"
- Mason City voters approve school levies
- Mason City City council approves final skywalk plans and solar projects
- Mason City council approves money for Music Man Square and sports bar investors
- Council approves property tax levy
- Mason City voters decide two city council positions
- Spring Valley City Council approves family's conditional use permit